I will be attending a Bible Study later at the office with (Ate) Jane during lunch time, and I am excited about it! I didn’t know there was something like that here. So in relation to that, this week’s Thursday Thirteen is thirteen of my favorite Bible verses. :)
Thirteen Favorite Bible Verses:
- “I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13 NKJV)
This verse was my anchor verse back in high school, especially when I was always faced with stress from schoolwork. I was an overachiever back then, and I always seem to carry big amounts of schoolwork and even if it doesn’t show back then, I get really worn out in the middle of it. This verse reminds me that Christ will always give me strength for whatever I have to do. I particularly like The Message’s translation of this verse: “Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.” :)
- “We bring nothing at birth, we take nothing with us at death. The Lord alone gives and takes. Praise the name of the Lord!” (Job 1:21 CEV)
I’ve always admired the story of how Job was faithful to God even in the midst of all his troubles. This particular verse reminds me that everything I have is from God and none is mine. It reminds me to praise God whatever my circumstance is. :)
- “I know what I’m doing. I have it all planned outâ€”plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.” (Jeremiah 29:11 MSG)
This verse used to be my banner verse for my love life. I can safely say I’ve grown up from that already, but still, this verse brings me hope, especially when I was kind of down on job hunting and post graduation woes. When things are just too blurry for me to see, it’s comforting to know that God has a plan that is for my good.
- “I paid a huge price for you: all of Egypt, with rich Cush and Seba thrown in! That’s how much you mean to me! That’s how much I love you! I’d sell off the whole world to get you back, trade the creation just for you.” (Isaiah 43:4 MSG)
â™¥ â™¥ â™¥ :)
- “Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don’t try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he’s the one who will keep you on track.” (Proverbs 3:5 MSG)
This is for control freaks like me. :) I know that trusting God fully is one of the hard things to do in life, and this verse is a reminder of what I must always do.
- “I shall keep silent and not open my mouth, for this is Your work.” (Psalm 39:10 Christian Community Bible)
My mouth has gotten me in trouble for a lot of times. :P I was kind of sad about something and I badly needed enlightenment one night, so I was browsing through Psalms and I got this verse which just hit the bullseye. :D
- “God will fight the battle for you. And you? You keep your mouths shut!” (Exodus 14:14 MSG)
I love this translation of this verse, and it’s related to verse # 6. :)
- “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:28 NAB)
Sometimes when I get in the middle of something that I don’t understand or is difficult, I ask God why is it like that. And God simply answers me with this. I read somewhere that God reveals His will to us in bite-size pieces so we won’t be overwhelmed with how big His plan for us is. This verse also reminds me that whether it is good or bad, it will always work out for God’s purpose, which is one thing I know I can trust with my life. :)
- “I want you to live as free of complications as possible. When you’re unmarried, you’re free to concentrate on simply pleasing the Master. Marriage involves you in all the nuts and bolts of domestic life and in wanting to please your spouse, leading to so many more demands on your attention. The time and energy that married people spend on caring for and nurturing each other, the unmarried can spend in becoming whole and holy instruments of God. I’m trying to be helpful and make it as easy as possible for you, not make things harder. All I want is for you to be able to develop a way of life in which you can spend plenty of time together with the Master without a lot of distractions.” (1 Corinthians 7:32-35 MSG)
Haha, enough said. :) This is a reminder for singletons like me who get lonely once in a while. :P
- “Let us not become weary in doing good for at proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” (Galatians 6:9 NIV)
There are times in my walk with God that I get tired of doing what I am doing and I wonder if all this YFC/SFC service and doing good is all worth it. We all get to that point (I believe it’s called burnout :p), and this verse saved me just in time from having another one of those.
- “Here’s what I want: Give me a God-listening heart…” (1 Kings 3:9 MSG)
Simple, straightforward and something I pray for as well.
- “…and after you have suffered a little he will bring you to perfection…” (1 Peter 5:10 Christian Community Bible)
The Thesis Verse! This verse has brought me through the hard times we all call thesis. :) Through all those consultations that made me squirm and those delayed defenses…this just got me through all the emotional and spiritual strain that thesis gave me. :)
- “Incline my heart to follow Your will and not my own selfish desire.” (Psalm 119:36)
My anchor verse for almost four years now. :D As my friend told me once, there’s nothing worth praying for than God’s will in your life. :)
* The Bibles I have available with me are the Christian Community Bible and The Message Bible. Much thanks to Bible Gateway for other translations. :)
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. Itâ€™s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!